This week Kerri and I are doing a liver cleanse with our fabulous Fix Your Period group. Today is actually Day #2. So far so good, no detox symptoms yet. Some of you might be wondering why we’re specifically cleansing the liver. Well my pretties, read on to find out!
Your liver functions in your body in much the same way a pool filter functions in a pool. Just as a pool filter cleans a pool by catching the dead leaves, dirt and insects, the liver detoxifies our bodies from harmful chemicals and toxins found in food and our environment. Too much booze, drugs (illegal and legal – xanax has to pass through your liver too), pesticides in foods, chemicals and environmental pollution (your liver doesn’t like smog) can cause your lovely liver to get really bogged down.
What you may not know is that the liver is responsible for removing excess estrogen from your body. Yup, it sure is. When it gets all gunked up it is unable to function optimally and thus cannot remove estrogen at it’s normal rate and so it starts to build up in the bloodstream. This results in a condition called estrogen dominance. Sounds like fun huh?
Estrogen dominance can result in these rather unpleasant conditions:
- Unexplained weight gain
- Insulin resistance
- Fibrocystic breasts
- PMS & PMDD (did I even need to say it?)
- Migraines, especially right before your period
- Irregular periods and heavy bleeding
- Ovarian Cysts
You get my drift right?
So, what’s a girl to do? Here are my 3 biggest recommendations:
- Eat your greens girls, eat your damn greens! 🙂 In other words, increase your fiber intake. The best way to do that is to eat plenty of greens. Sounds boring right? Maybe this will interest you – your liver de-activates estrogen and sends it to the bowel to be excreted. If you’re constipated that estrogen ain’t going anywhere but back into your bloodstream. It has been proven that women eating higher amounts of fiber have lower levels of circulating estrogen. This means that there is less estrogen wreaking havoc on your hot bod. What’s not to love? Try getting 25 grams of fiber a day into your diet. What does 25 grams of fiber look like? Here it is: 1 apple-5 grams, 1 pear-4 grams, 1/2 cup of kidney beans-6 grams, 1 cup of brown rice-4 grams, 1 cup of mustard or collard greens-5 grams. That’s 24 grams of fiber! So easy right?
- Cut back on the booze. Alcohol impairs your liver’s functioning so much that circulating estrogen levels increase by up to 32% with just two drinks a day. If you are struggling with any of the estrogen dominance issues above then reducing the amount of alcohol you drink could really help. The same goes for the dudes in your life. Liver impairment caused by too much alcohol can cause a condition called gynocomastia, which is characterized by enlarged breasts in men.
- Xenoestrogens. Say what? We live in a pretty toxic world. Did you know there are over 80,000 chemicals currently on the market and the majority of them have not been tested for safety, much less proven safe. Many of these chemicals are known as xenoestrogens, meaning that they have an estrogenic effect on our bodies. As if we needed any more estrogen! PCB’s, pesticides, chlorine, you name it; they all have this effect on us. And let’s not talk about shampoo, body lotion and makeup. There are some serious offenders out there. Check out the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep Database to find out how your products rate. http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ Start replacing your toxic products with products that contain more natural ingredients and less chemicals. Your body and your liver will thank you.