Melissa Kathryn is a nutritionist and weight loss and lifestyle expert. Through her holistic weight loss and lifestyle practice, Melissa is dedicated to helping women free themselves from dieting, emotional eating and self-sabotage cycles, and making peace with food, themselves, and their bodies, so they thrive in life in a body they love.
In this episode, we talk about how cultural messages on the ideal woman’s physique impacts girls from a young age, the connection between your diet and a healthy cycle, how yo-yo dieting can cause you to lose your period, the importance of body wisdom, and so much more!
Here are the highlights of what we cover during this episode:
- Melissa’s experience of losing her period due to yo-yo dieting
- How the cultural ideal of “the thinner you are, the better” is harming young girls’ perceptions of themselves and women’s fertility
- The surprising prevalence of diets for girls as young as 10 years old
- The importance of healthy fats when it comes to having a healthy cycle
- Why we should be having healthy conversations around nutrition with children, especially young girls
- The huge impact of instilling in children a positive body image and belief in self
- What body wisdom means and why it’s so important for women to reconnect with their innate intuitive ability
- How diets cause women to start disconnecting from themselves and their bodies
- Why Melissa doesn’t want anybody to be Superwoman
- How Melissa helps women lose weight by becoming re-inspired by their lives
- Melissa’s best tip for forgiving yourself and changing your relationship with yourself after years of yo-yo dieting
- How feelings of shame and guilt can cause women to disassociate from their femininity and unconsciously contribute to weight gain
Resources & Recommendations:
Want even more hormone and period lovin’ content?
- Take my quiz to find out what’s up with your period and hormones, and get my Fix Your Period Quickstart Kit 7-Day Course.
- Want to be the first to know when I release a new blog post? I go deeeeep in my blog posts – you won’t wanna miss them! Sign up here and you’ll be the coolest “periodista” on the block.
- Ready to become your own health advocate and massively uplevel your period game? I’ve got you covered in my Fix Your Period series of programs. You’ll find the right program for you here!